Tuesday, March 30, 2010

How did she do it??

As I was rocking my sweet baby boy tonight (don't judge - I don't do it every night, there are just some times I can't resist) I was thinking about this upcoming weekend. We always celebrate Easter on Saturday night with my parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins...the whole clan - which if you know anything about my family you know this is quite a lot of people. I was reminded of how much I love this time of year in the church. I love the church services on Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and of course Easter Sunday.

Have you seen The Passion? I understand that you may have been living under a rock if you haven't, but I was informed by my husband who has seen probably every movie known to man that he has not seen this movie. What?? I thought everyone had seen this. I will be honest, it hurts to watch it. I remember the first time I saw this film, I walked out of the theater thinking that I did not deserve what He did for me. At all. I am so glad that He thought that I did though. What an honor.

Something that really struck me throughout the movie though was Mary. Being the good Catholic girl that I am I hold Mary in very high esteem (no this does not mean that we pray to Mary:)). I always have, but I guess it wasn't until I had Lucas that I began to fathom the sacrifices that she made to be the mother to the Son of God. Just ponder that for a minute, I will wait.....doesn't it blow your mind?? Lucas is only 7 months old next week, and I hate that he is having pain from teething, much less even thinking about him going through the same things that our Lord went through.

Did you see what she did? She stood back and trusted. She stood to the side and watched her son go through torture and did not intervene. This isn't because she was not a strong woman, just the opposite, it is because she was a strong woman. She was so steadfast in her faith that she knew whatever her son was enduring it was for God's Glory. If that isn't an example of grace then I don't know what is. How does a mother do this? By the grace of God. That is the only explanation that I can possibly come up with. Any of you who have more theology knowledge than me have another answer?

Believe me, I have not lost sight of the sacrificial gift that Jesus gave for sinner me during this season. I am humbled that He would even consider me worthy of a second thought much less go through such physical pain, go to hell to pay the price for the sins that I would one day commit, and then RISE to show God's Glory. God is good. All the time.

Thank you for indulging me...Happy Easter everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment